[mythtv-users] VIA EPIA-M

Torsten Schenkel mythtv at isl.mach.uni-karlsruhe.de
Sat Mar 19 19:03:40 UTC 2005

Am Samstag, den 19.03.2005, 09:17 -0700 schrieb Adam Felson:
> Live TV doesn't record to the hard drive.

Well it depends on your definition. It writes to disk and reads from
disk again. Wether you keep the data on disk or not doesn't matter.
So from a technical point of view MythTV-LiveTV DOES record to the hard
disk.

> Live TV doesn't involve compression or decompression.

It does, since it doesn't write the uncompressed stream to the disk.

> Live TV only requires that one frame be read while another frame is
> being displayed.

It requires one stream to be read from the card, compressed and written
to disk, read from disk, decompressed and displayed.

> Mpeg4 software compression algorithm alone is too much for the little
> epia.  RTJPEG at low resolution might work, but it would be pushing it.
>
> Replace that with a hardware encoder and all the epia has to do is read
> from the card, save to the hard drive, run another process to read the
> same or different data from the hard drive, and run yet another process
> to display.

Now, that's just what I said from the beginning.

Torsten