[mythtv-users] Debian, Sarge and MythTV

Jarod Wilson jarod at wilsonet.com
Sat Mar 19 02:20:22 UTC 2005

On Friday 18 March 2005 02:32 pm, Aaron Aguilar wrote:
> How about about far as updating the system?

Updating is just fine. You can always roll back changes.

> I can understand not
> wanting to upgrade the distro, but how safe is it updating your
> system?

I've had very few bad updates, and those I have had haven't been difficult to
recover from.

> What is your preferred method

apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade

If a particular package is broken, then:

apt-cache policy packagename

Look at the versions available, and roll back to a prior one:

apt-get install packagename=x.y.z

Its possible to get in a situation where rollback isn't very easy, but its
usually a matter of only a package or three you need to revert. I can't
remember the last thing I even had to do a rollback on though. Oh wait, yes I
can. Stupid 7167 nvidia driver... (will tackle that again this weekend).

> and how often do you do it?

Whenever I get around to it. My Myth boxes mostly just sit there working. I
generally keep on top of kernel and driver updates on my non-master-backend
Myth boxes, and rarely upgrade anything else on them, there's really no
point, IMO. Again, if it ain't broke and/or you don't need the new features,
don't fix it.

My workstations at home and work are another matter, I upgrade them fairly
constantly, usually running the latest stuff out of the testing trees for
ATrpms and KDE Red Hat, at the very least. KDE 3.4.0 is pretty slick, just
bumped my machine at work today, home workstation to follow this weekend.

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod at wilsonet.com

Got a question? Read this first...