[mythtv-users] Where is Jarod's guide to automatic shutdown and restart?

Ryan A. Carris racarris at gmail.com
Fri Mar 18 23:57:47 UTC 2005

On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 22:26:46 -0900, John Andersen
<jsa at video.homelinux.org> wrote:
> On Tuesday 15 March 2005 21:43, Jarod Wilson wrote:
> > On Monday 14 March 2005 04:21, Phill Edwards wrote:
> > > I went looking for this as nvram-wakeup's not working for me any more
> > > for some reason, and I remembered that Jarod uses wake-on-lan from
> > > another machine.
> >
> > I think you may have me confused with someone else, I've never used WOL.
> > All my boxes are just on 24x7.
>
> Often wondered about why people are so concerned about WOL
> for a myth box.  Where is Electricity so expensive that leaving it
> on 24/7 is a problem?

Here in Chicago, my average electric bill is ~$50 - $60.  I've found
though expermentation by leaving extra boxes on 24/7 that it costs me
about $4/month for a box to be on 24/7.  I have no idea how much it
cost for a box to be on only when needed.  I can only guess may be
$1/month.  So, a $3 diff. Big Deal!

My theory is that those people that worry power usuage, noise, etc.
just need a project.  I have plently of other things going on in my
life, so I live with a little excess power usuage and noise.  If I'm
bored some day I may worry about these things.