[mythtv-users] How much horse power?

James Armstrong james at thearmstrongs.org
Fri Mar 18 21:17:04 UTC 2005

Mario L wrote:
> 500tb seems like quite a bit of space, does autoexpire ever run for you?
>

>>>The questions:
>>>
>>>1) Do I need a powerhouse frontend to display HDTV streamed from the backend
>>>over gigabit ethernet?  I was hoping to get away with a modest CPU to keep
>>>the box cool.
>>>2) Any issues with my choice of tv tuners?  Will I be able to record an ATSC
>>>stream off the pchdtv card while watching an NTSC stream off the WinTV card?
>>>3) Any experience using a 64-bit distro with these cards?
>>>
>>>Thanks for any guidance you have!
>>>

>>Man, that backend is way overkill. I am running two Air2pc cards, 2
>>PVR250's and 500tb of storage on a Athlon 2400 512 megs of memory. That
>>is even more that I need. The power needs to be in the frontend.
>>
>>My frontend is a P4 3g 1gig memory NVidia 5200.
>>
>>- James

My bad, must the the Tylonal-3 I am taking. It is 1/2 tb., and with that
  I really don't have to worry about much. I think it works out pretty
good even with two HD cards and two pvr250's. I only have to delete when
I start hanging onto shows. I have the whole season of Lost and 24 in
HD. I have 133 programs, using 461 GB (141 hrs 52 mins) out of 518 GB.

- James