[mythtv-users] old sound thread

Marcelo Toledo marcelo at marcelotoledo.org
Fri Mar 18 02:22:33 UTC 2005

Someone started this thread a while back:

> Ståle Undheim wrote:
>
>> After some problems I finally got sound working in video4linux. Sound
>> is through a cabel into line-in on my soundcard. The TV card is
>> pinnacle PCTV pro - running linux debian sid 2.6.9-1-686. It works
>> fine in tvtime and xawtv, but not in mythtv.
>>
>> The first thing I found that I should correct was to set the recording
>> flag on line-in, and mute it. I did this. Then I tried tvtime again,
>> no sound, as expected. But if I do aplay /dev/dsp I get the tv-sound,
>> although a bit delayed.
>
> Good. That means that it is recording and playing back the
> digital data correctly.
>
>> In mythtv I have /dev/dsp as the sound device, but still no sound.
>
> There are two places you should check. In the backend setup
> program "Capture cards" section you need to set "Audio device"
> to /dev/dsp for recording. In "mythfrontend" Setup->General
> page 3, you need to set "Audio output device" to /dev/dsp for
> palyback.
>
> -- bjm

I have the same problem, and I have done the same things, all my devices
are set to /dev/dsp and I still can't hear the sound in
mythtv. Permissions are ok and my mixer is set to:

$ amixer set Master,0 100%,100% unmute
$ amixer set PCM,0 100%,100% unmute
$ amixer set CD,0 75%,75% mute captur <-- NOTE The CD
$ amixer set Capture,0 100%,100% captur
$ su
# alsactl store
# exit