[mythtv-users] Re: Simple video tests are failing -- what other tests are helpful?

Joseph Caputo jcaputo1 at comcast.net
Thu Mar 17 22:21:55 UTC 2005

Justin Gombos wrote:
> * Joseph Caputo <jcaputo1 at comcast.net> [2005-03-17 14:38]:
>
>>Try specifying a channel, as in "mplayer tv://3"
>

> That doesn't change things.  The following commands all cause a green
> box to be displayed:
>
>   mplayer tv://
>   mplayer tv://3
>   mplayer tv://3 driver=v4l2
>   mplayer tv:// driver=v4l2
>   mplayer tv:// driver=v4l
>

>>Hmmm, interesting.  MPlayer is only detecting one input: Composite1.
>>It doesn't appear to be detecting the tuner.
>

> I don't believe this card has a tuner.  It only has two physical
> ports, an RCA and an S-Video, both of which are inputs.  And it seems
> they are considered the same port internally.

Aha.  It might have helped if you'd mentioned that before.

> Is it your understanding of tuners that they demultiplex one signal
> from many coming in on a coaxial line?  Since this card just has an
> RCA/S-Video input, I believe it inherently requires an external tuner
> to ensure that there is only one signal on the line.  If I'm right,
> then there is no tuner at all.  My cable box has an RCA out, so I
> guess there is no need for a tuner in the PVR.

Technically, yes, but I don't know if anyone has ever tried Myth using a
framegrabber card without a tuner, though I know several people have
asked about it in the past; none of them actually had such a card, though.

Still, I'd think you might be able to get things working.  Forget
MPlayer.  If Xawtv is working, you should try Myth.  When you configure
your card, what are you setting up as your video source, and are you
binding it to the Composite1 input?  How many inputs show up in Myth &
what are they named?  When you try Myth or MPlayer, is there actually a
video signal going in to the composite input?

-JAC