[mythtv-users] NVidia, Hardware, Japan, Linux ... HELP!!! I'm going crazy!!!

Jarod Wilson jarod at wilsonet.com
Thu Mar 17 20:39:40 UTC 2005

On Wednesday 16 March 2005 16:45, Hirobumi Shimada wrote:
> David Bennett wrote:
> > (3) Tuner/decoder. I would like the Haupage but am in Japan. I have
> > been told that the Kurotoshiko card is a clone. Its model number is
> > CX23416GYC-STVLP/R. Is this an actual Haupage card or just using the
> > same chips?

Very similar chips, but not exactly the same. Both have the Conexant cx23416
mpeg2 encoder, but some of the other chips on the card differ.

> > Will it work the same as a "real" Haupage card?

You'll definitely need the paken ivtv for that card to fully work.

> > If I can
> > find another Tuner that uses this chip is it safe to go with it?
> > (basically a list of mpeg2 decoders that will work with Myth and can
> > be bought in Japan would be great.)
>
> I don't know Haupage, but most Japanese use MythTV with following mpeg2
> cards.
>
> Kurotoshiko CX23416GYC-STVLP/R (I use it, cheapest)
> BAFFALO     PC-MV51XR/PCI (same CX23416GYC-STVLP/R)
> IO-DATA	    GV-MVP/RX
> IO-DATA	    GV-MVP/RX2  (minor change of GV-MVP/RX)
> IO-DATA	    GV-MVP/RX2W (double tuner version of GV-MVP/RX2)
>
> Thease cards work in a modified version of ivtv driver in the following
> site.
>
> http://www.paken.org/linuxwiki/index.php?CX23416GYC-STVLP%A4%CE%B2%F2%C0%CF

Note that there are some variants of the Kurotoshiko card that don't actually
have the GYC (ghost reduction, y/c separation) portions on them, and they do
NOT fully work, even with the paken ivtv driver (at least they didn't last I
checked -- I have one of these). I believe all the versions sold to the
Japanese market do have the GYC components though. Cards sold into other
markets eliminate them, because some of the functionality is specific to the
NTSC-J TV standard.

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod at wilsonet.com