[mythtv-users] Re: Does mplayer work on frame grabbers?

Justin Gombos mindfuq at fairfieldi.com
Thu Mar 17 19:17:29 UTC 2005

* Joseph Caputo <jcaputo1 at comcast.net> [2005-03-17 13:56]:

> MPlayer supports ordinary tuner cards.  Just run "mplayer
> tv://[channel] [options]".  See the manpage for available options.
> Or, you could use xawtv or another similar V4L program.

Xawtv was a great suggestion.  It worked, and it's the first time I've
seen the AverMedia EZMaker DVD card work in linux.  What a relief to
finally see it work.  Progress!!  Xawtv simply worked.  I wish I had
tried it sooner.  I only had to switch from PAL to NTSC to get color.

So xawtv has proven that the card and the v4l2 saa7130 driver can grab
frames in linux, and that it's correctly configured.

Now I have to figure out why mplayer and MythTV can't do the same, and
why I can't even read from the /dev/video0 device using cat.