[mythtv-users] Re: Energy Usage of MythBoxes

Charles Choukalos choukalos at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 17 14:59:48 UTC 2005

Hi John,

Actually I'm in Texas (makes Jersy look like Paradise)
and during oh what 9 months out of the year its hotter
then hells kitchen (brown and ugly too).  When I lived
in New England electricity was a lot more expensive
but leaving on the computer provided a little heat in
the house and maybe hit my electric bill by $10 a
month or so... not too bad.  Down here during the long
ass hot desert period its about a $50 hit (most of
that is cooling).  Not to mention you rapidly realize
just how much heat a computer throws off (we wont even
get into the space-heater monitor effects).  In Europe
electricity is pretty damn expensive so I imagine in
even cooler climates they're seeing the same effective
bill, if they're stuck near the mediteranian god help
them.... I seem to recall A/C is a big luxury in which
case they want the friggin thing off as much as
possible.

I'm in the same boat.  I've got a Server and then one
front end that's on 24/7 for the last 2 years.  I
really notice the bills when I'm updating the systems
(ie FC1 and Myth .17 breaking...ARGH!!!) and they're
down for a week or two while I try to find time to fix
the bloody thing.  It usually has a significant impact
on my electric bill.  So I've thought about how to
lower the energy usage.  I believe the best soln for
me is to build an Opteron based server (use the 240EE
chip... only 30 watts of power) with a whole bunch of
spin-down SATA drives and pipe the MythTV signal over
RF into my TV's.  That would significantly reduce my
electric bill (probabably about $50-80/mo during the
hot months... maybe only $10 or so during the winter
months)

Just a data point for those curious.

-Chuck