[mythtv-users] nvidia mx440 tv-out during boot

Joe Votour joevph at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 16 19:16:43 UTC 2005

When I was using my 440MX, I was able to get TV-Out on
the S-Video connector, however, it wasn't in NTSC, as
best as I can tell (it was black and white, and the
screen had a strange shape to it).  I'm figuring that
the card was in PAL mode by default, or that perhaps
the card wasn't detecting what my TV was expecting
properly.  I know that it wasn't that particular card
(Gainward), since I exchanged the card for one of the
same type, and I still had the same problem (thus it
was an issue across the manufacturer's entire line, or
the video chipset, or something).  For the record, my
card had an NV18 for TV-Out.

Like you, once the nVidia driver kicked in, everything
was flawless.  For Fedora Core, I don't know if it was
using a framebuffer during the boot process or not,
but you should be able to get S-Video for at least the
BIOS.  (Heck, I was able to do a full Windows XP
installation over S-Video even.)

The solution was to replace it with a 5200FX card,
which works beautifully.  Probably not what you wanted
to hear though.

-- Joe