[mythtv-users] Mythtvfrontend as a standalone system

PAUL WILLIAMSON pwilliamson at mandtbank.com
Wed Mar 16 12:40:03 UTC 2005

>>> Ow.Mun.Heng at wdc.com 03/16/05 5:24 AM >>>
>I was trying to install Mythtv yesterday night and when I compiled
>mythtv-frontend, looking through the docs, I realise that I'm in over
my
>head on this.

So don't compile.  Use apt-get or the appropriate dist mech. for
yourt chosen distribution (rh, debian, etc.).

>I mean, I only want to use the EPIA box (M10K) as a video playing
>unit and not as a recorder or anything. (in fact, I have no desire
>[yet] to incorporate a backend system.)

You will.  But why use MythTV then?

>Can myth-tv be used solely as a video-player unit?? of course with
>the web-browser/music/gallery etc. in as well.

Sure.  This is fine.  I have one of these in testing for use in a car.

>No Recording capability whatsoever.

No biggie.

>I'm sure it can be done this way. (but googling, finding nothing
>prompted me to ask in the list)

There should be something in the archives about this...

Anyway, just run mythfrontend.  There is an occasional message
about not being able to connect to the backend, but you can
edit the xml to remove the recording and video selection.  Don't
forget about the guide stuff as well.

Paul