[mythtv-users] View console on TV while MythTV running

Robert Denier denier at umr.edu
Wed Mar 16 07:34:39 UTC 2005

For those of us spoiled by kde or gnome, it is trivial to change font
defaults in konsole or the gnome terminal.  For that matter you can use
those in other window managers afaik.  This will likely take no longer
than doing a control-alt-f1 switch.

On Wed, 2005-03-16 at 07:12 +0000, John Mangan wrote:
> I hope this hasn't been answered a hundred times before but I searched the
> archive without success.
>
> I am using Knoppmyth to run a test system with MythTv. I am using an nVidia
> 5200 card with TVOut. It works fine but since I am still testing it would be
> nice to be able to Ctrl-Alt-F1 to a console (XTerm is too small/fuzzy to be
> really workable). However when I change to the console screen I just get
> scrambled lines as though the horizontal hold has gone.

The tv out works fine in console mode on my card.  It looks like an old
geforce 2 mx.  I'm not sure I've ever tried to go temporarily to the
console like your doing though.  I usually just stay in X or leave it.

> I am not familiar enough with the XF86Config-4 file to know what needs to be
> changed (and I'm not sure that's where the problem lies since X displays
> perfectly well). Also the text output during bootup displays perfectly well.

It sounds like that during the switch back whatever needs to be reset on
the graphics card isn't getting done.  That of course doesn't help, but
if you had any other suitable drivers for that card you might want to
give them a try.

> Any help gratefully received.

Robert Denier (denier at umr.edu)
PhD Electrical Engineering (May 2005)