[mythtv-users] What to do on XBox when the backend crashes

Berry, David David.Berry at dcita.gov.au
Tue Mar 15 22:40:31 UTC 2005

>The thing is that if you are watching a recording on the XBox, and the
>backend dies, under your scheme, it would seem that the XBox would
>mysteriously reboot itself.  Put if you play the .nuv video files
>through an NFS mount, I think the frontend can continue to play the
>file without an active backend.  So it would unnecessarily cause the
>XBox to reboot.

True - but I don't NFS mount the .nuv files, and the xBox doesn't
mysteriously reboot itself anyway - if it did, then I would know that
the backend has stopped - which is probably more important than watching
a recording.

> However, I'd be interesting to take a peek at the XBox script.

#!/bin/bash
BACKEND_FLAG="/mnt/myth/backend.flag"

# See if the backend flag exists
if [ -e $BACKEND_FLAG ]
then
       exit
fi

# Flag file could not be found
logger ERROR: Lost connection with mythbackend flag. Rebooting...

# shutdown -r now

#TODO: Put in some sort of count to make sure we don't end up in endless
reboot cycle.