[mythtv-users] PVR-250, sound problems, wrong directories

kanetse at gmail.com kane.tse at gmail.com
Tue Mar 15 22:37:08 UTC 2005

On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 16:32:28 -0600, Scott Francis
<scott.francis at newisys.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-03-15 at 15:30 -0700, Ryan M wrote:
> > I've seen the archives on this but so far haven't had any luck.
> > I've followed the Jarod's guide but I can't get sound to work for my
> > PVR-250, sound does work on the rest of the system.  There is a lot of
> > talk about a msp3400.ko file not being the right version.  On my
> > machine the msp3400-ivtv.ko file is in a different directory.  The
> > regular files are at
> > /lib/modules/2.6.10-1.770_FC3/kernel/drivers/media/video the
> > msp3400-ivtv.ko along with some other files are located at
> > /lib/modules/2.6.10-1.770_FC3/updates/drivers/media/video.  I've tried
> > copying them all over to my kernel directory and renaming
> > msp3400-ivtv.ko to msp3400.ko and running
> > # /sbin/rmmod ivtv
> > # /sbin/depmod -a
> > # /sbin/modprobe ivtv
> > # cat /dev/video0 > /tmp/test_capture.mpg
> > # mplayer /tmp/test_capture.mpg
> > but it still doesn't work.  If there is something obvious here that a
> > linux noob wouldn't see please tell me.  If there are any tests I can
> > run or config files that would help, I can post those.
>
> You have double checked that your alsa master line/line in/etc aren't
> muted haven't you?  To me this is always the issue when I don't have
> volume.
>
> Scott
>
> --

Another thing along those lines to try is to move the .mpg file to
another machine where you know sounds works (like a Windows machine)
and see if you can play it with sound or not.

Also, have you rebooted your machine since renaming the msp3400 kernel
modules?  I find that sometimes the non-ivtv module gets loaded even
though I've rmmod'ed it and deleted the non-ivtv msp3400 file.  Or it
might even be as simple as rmmod'ing the msp3400 (you didn't specify
if you did that or not).

Just some ideas for you to try out.