[mythtv-users] Re: 1000th picture quality question

Dan Goldberg dan at orca1.com
Tue Mar 15 22:29:02 UTC 2005

> The fact that DVD looks perfect SHOULD tell us that it's a problem with
> our capture or decoding, rather than with our Video Driver, right? (I
> haven't compiled MythDVD yet, but I'm going to do so tonight and let you
> know...)

That's what I would think. Since the DVD playback is perfect I figure my
video card, nvidia settings, and s-video cable to the tv are ok.

I know interlacing is something often discussed here, which I don't know
much about at all. But, I believe that DVDs could look better because they
aren't coming from a source that is interlacing frames.

So, I would guess that is has something to do with capture or decode. Or,
perhaps the video card has issues when video comes from an interlaced
source.

Anyway, I'll probably try out a few ideas people had such as moving the
capture card to another slot in the computer. Other than that, I suppose I
could replace pieces of hardware until I see some variation in quality.

> I set my bitrate to the maximum, and all I saw chage was the fact that
> the recording would get INCREDIBLY choppy!!! My PVR-350 seemed incapable
> of recording at 16Mbps... did you guys observe this as well?

I don't think I've ever tried setting the bitrate to the maximum, but I'll
try it tonight.

Dan.