[mythtv-users] MySQL Error in Jarod's Guide?

Rei Toi rei_toi at walkingmountain.com
Tue Mar 15 22:26:55 UTC 2005

First, I'm newbie.  You have been warned. :)

Second, thanks again for your guide, Jarod.  It was a tremendous help to me.

I *think* that I may have found an error in section 12 for MySQL.  I'm
hoping that those with more experience can check this before I open a
ticket for it on Jarod's site.  So, please, correct me if I'm wrong.

I believe there is an error in the optimizations for MySQL v3.x.
Specifically, this line should be excluded from the guide:

set-variable = query_cache_size = 16M

This apparently is not a valid setting for versions of MySQL prior to
4.0.1.  From the  MySQL Reference Manual :: 5.11 The MySQL Query Cache:

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/query-cache.html

"From version 4.0.1 on, MySQL Server features a query cache. When in
use, the query cache stores the text of a SELECT query together with the
corresponding result that was sent to the client. If the identical query
is received later, the server retrieves the results from the query cache
rather than parsing and executing the query again."

I followed the guide to do an install of FC3, which installed MySQL ver
3.23.58.  After adding the above mentioned entry into /etc/my.cnf,
mysqld failed to start with the following error in /var/log/mysqld.log:

050314 20:59:48  mysqld started
No variable match for: -O 'query_cache_size=16M'
/usr/libexec/mysqld  Ver 3.23.58 for redhat-linux-gnu on i386
Use '--help' or '--no-defaults --help' for a list of available options
050314 20:59:49  mysqld ended

mysqld --help for this version shows no option for query_cache_size.

Should I open a ticket for this, or am I wrong?