[mythtv-users] Re: Lower power usage ideas? (for backend)

Robson Braga Araujo robson at akwan.com.br
Tue Mar 15 22:24:22 UTC 2005

On Tue, Mar 15, 2005 at 10:35:37AM -0500, David Wood wrote:
> In the meantime, I found out a rather stunning revelation about Athlon
> systems. There appears to be a latent "power save" mode built into all of
> them (not just the mobile models) that works perfectly and without any
> performance hit that I can detect. Something to do with sending a special
> instruction during the idle cycle. It is disabled by default. I have no
> idea why. You can enable it with a utility like FVCool. Using sensors, I
> watched the CPU temp drop 14C when idling... it's really something. Maybe
> it will work for you too.

It may be something with my motherboard, but I enabled this yesterday
morning only to come home and find out that all my filesystems were
corrupted. I'm still picking up the pieces.

Just wanted to share so that you know the risks you are running. It is
mentioned on the Athlon Power Saving Howto.

--
[]s,
Robson Braga Araujo

   As a math atheist, I think I should be excused from this.
              --- Calvin, to Hobbes