[mythtv-users] Is mythTV ready for prime time?

Carrison, Stuart Stuart at carrison.co.uk
Tue Mar 15 20:49:03 UTC 2005

Some folks made it in their spare time - and considering this, it ain't *that* hard to get going - they made it pretty easy as long as you've got hardware that's supported by Linux n' IVTV. I considered myself a Linux noob a month ago, after cobling together some decent hardware and recycling some more I've got a great system the wife, kids and I get along with fine.

Is MythTV ready for the prime time - no, probably not. Why? Because it's home-brew, there's no gigantic software company behind it with 24/7 support, buckets of money to pay Mr Wilson with etc. But of course if Myth sold out to some nasty software company we'd loose all the flexibility we have in the system at the moment.

But on the other hand, there's no subscription fees and once you get it going _properly_ it's as solid as a rock and can do more than any Tivo, XP MCE or 'other' home brew PVR I've ever seen. You need to take your time with the set-up (especially adding all those cable channels, *groan*).

I'm going back down stairs to watch Red Dwarf - 4 episodes of Red Dwarf. The kids are watching Mary Poppins in the den and the wife is looking through the photo album.

Don't throw in the towel, get your head around the concept of open source - the community will support you! Tell us something about your woes and your set-up!