[mythtv-users] What to do on XBox when the backend crashes

kanetse at gmail.com kane.tse at gmail.com
Tue Mar 15 18:06:44 UTC 2005

Hey all,

I'm got my MythTV 0.16 running on a headless remote backend.  One of
the frontend machines in my setup is an XBox (v1.4) running Xebian
1.0.3.

The problem I have is when the backend crashes or goes away.
Eventually, I get the dreaded pop-up window (on the XBox) that the
"Connection to the backend server has been lost... is the backend
running..." or something to that effect.

At this point the only option displayed on screen is to press "OK".
On a normal computer, you can usually hit the ENTER or SPACE key to
get rid of that box.

However, on my XBox I can't click on it.  I hit every button on my
XBox DVD Remote but I can't dismiss that box.  And since I don't have
a keyboard hooked up, the only thing I can do is to hard power-off my
XBox (or SSH into the XBox and issue a shutdown -r now).

What do other users do?