[mythtv-users] Re: Silverstone LC03V VFD

Paul mythtv at dsl.pipex.com
Tue Mar 15 16:42:05 UTC 2005

>Hi all, still haven't managed to get my stock VFD to work as yet. In
>fact I unplugged it, got distracted for a week and have only just come
>to plug it back in. One question! Can someone tell me the orientation of
>the plug on the back of the VFD unit, should it have power sockets at
>the top or bottom??

The red and black power wires go to the bottom pins 1 and 2.
http://www.ocmodshop.com/silverstonelc03v/DSCF0070.JPG

>Has anyone had any success with this unit yet?

I have it working with LCDproc. It does have its problems though.

When I first got the Silversone box the VFD was very temperamental. Some
times
it would start up OK others it refused to work. One day I was changing
around the
routing of the wiring in the case and had to disconnect the plug on the back
of the
VFD. When I restarted the machine the VFD refused to work no matter what I
did.
In the end I decided to take it out of the case to get a better look at it.
When I did I
noticed that the connector pins had been very badly soldered to the PCB with
some
pins not even soldered at all. Others had clear dry joints. I carefully
resoldered the pins
and it has worked OK ever since.

It will work with the stock LCDproc source/packages but I know the version I
was
using at the time had to be patched at get the character mapping sorted out
among
other things. I forget exactly what! I still have issues with it though. It
often seems to
randomly display garbage characters. It's possible the latest LCDproc fixes
the
problems I have been having. Not had a look lately to see.

>Cheers
>Rich

Good luck.

Paul