Practicality of backing up huge hard drives (was Re: [mythtv-users] Dieing Hard Drive)

Johannes Becker joh.becker at gmail.com
Tue Mar 15 15:28:15 UTC 2005

My experiance with HD backup is not so good. Usually you have only one
drive that holds one backup (maybe two). But what can happen is that a
disk goes down slowly and has failures that you copy to your backup
before you notice that. The HD backup is not helping then, because you
only have the broken copy there.
I prefer tapes (actually a DLT tape library from ebay) and keep
several instances. Even so that means that I have many tapes laying
around...