Practicality of backing up huge hard drives (was Re:[mythtv-users] Dieing Hard Drive)

Ron Johnson ron.l.johnson at cox.net
Tue Mar 15 14:34:32 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-03-15 at 09:15 -0500, William wrote:

> > > Tape drives have gotten quite reasonable these days.
> >
> > You're kidding, right?  High-capacity tape drives cost
> > thousands of dollars.
> > http://www.nextag.com/buyer/outpdir.jsp?nxtg=3b085_223EE3C7D6A
> FA1B5&search=ultrium+tape+drive
>
> Yes you are right for high capacity systems designed for commercial
> applications. However the older tape systems can still be gotten
> for under $100 and tapes are cheap.

Tapes are cheap, but even used high-capacity drives are still
expensive.  Maybe on ebay, though...
http://www.islandco.com/tapes.html

>                           Personally I use DVD-R discs that I
> buy for about $0.35 each. Its not ideal in that they are not
> reusable and there is no way to automate the backup but they get
> the job done cheap.

Yeah, and you'll have 1000 DVDs.

An external high-capacity disk drive is the best solution, I think.
Slap a 400GB HDD in a firewire enclosure, and cp!

Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson, LA USA

"If you disregard people's motives, it becomes much harder to
foresee their actions."
George Orwell