Practicality of backing up huge hard drives (was Re: [mythtv-users] Dieing Hard Drive)

Ron Johnson ron.l.johnson at cox.net
Tue Mar 15 12:53:31 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-03-15 at 07:42 -0500, William wrote:
> > You got any good ideas on how to back up, for example, a 2/3
> > full 250GB HDD?
> >

> Tape drives have gotten quite reasonable these days.

You're kidding, right?  High-capacity tape drives cost thousands
of dollars.
http://www.nextag.com/buyer/outpdir.jsp?nxtg=3b085_223EE3C7D6AFA1B5&search=ultrium+tape+drive

>                                                      A single
> 300GB tape would hold your drive no problem. If you back up
> without compression

Backup up MPEG files with tape-drive compression turned ON would
be down-right silly. ;)

>                     it actually goes quite quickly too.

Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson, LA USA

Clueless "tech" journalists drive geeks crazy....