[mythtv-users] MythVideo database resetting itself after addingsecond frontend

Darren Richards darren.richards at gmail.com
Mon Mar 14 20:22:03 UTC 2005

On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 07:36:14 -0500, PAUL WILLIAMSON
<pwilliamson at mandtbank.com> wrote:
> >After running the front and back end from one box very
> >successfully for over a year, I decided to add another front end.
> >Everything has gone smoothly, with one exception.  If I try to edit
> >the video information through the Video Manager on one frontend,
> >it resets the database for the other one.  So I can't seem to have the
>
> >video information (covers, descriptions, etc) for both frontends
> >simultaneously.  I  hope this makes sense.
> >

> Ooh!  Finally I can help with something!  Both frontends need to
> point to the *exact* same location.  If you're like me where one of
> your frontends is also your backend and where the videos are
> stored, just create a symlink from the real directory to where
> the other frontend mounts the videos and the change the location
> of where the frontend on the backend mounts the videos like so:
>
> Backend/Local frontend
> Real location: /videos
> Symlinked: /videos -> /mnt/videos
>
> Remote frontend:
> Mounted location: /mnt/videos
>
> All frontends need to know about where the video locations
> are because the path to the videos and the associated
> IMDB stuff (covers, director, summary) is coded into
> the mythconverg database.
>
> <snippety>
>
> >Is there a setting I'm missing somewhere?
> >

> Nope, I  don't think this is specifically documented anywhere.
> If it is, I missed it.  I'll go looking for it in a bit.
>
> >Thanks,
> >-darren
>
> No problemo!  Happy Mything!
>
> Paul

Thanks, everyone, for the suggestions.  But I do have both frontends
pointing to the same location.  I guess the one difference is instead
of creating a link from /mnt/dvds to /video/dvds (where I have them
stored), I actually created the nfs mount directoy from /video/dvds on
my backend to  /video/dvds on my second frontend.  Maybe I'll try the
more "correct" way of creating the mount point in /mnt and creating a
symlink.

But shouldn't the current setup work?  Both frontends are pointing to
/video/dvds.  That never changes, and I can always watch the movies
from either front end, but the database info keeps getting reset
whenever I bring up the video manager...

Thanks again,
darren