[mythtv-users] Shopping for an HDTV for Myth

David George david at thegeorges.us
Mon Mar 14 18:43:08 UTC 2005

On 3/14/2005 12:27 PM, Jim Oltman wrote:

>How much did this system set you back, excluding the LED board.

Not including the LED board, about $600.  I could have cut corners a
little.  I could have probably used a 512MB flash instead of 1GB (about
$40 cheaper at the time).  Also the case is fairly expensive at $85
(directron.com now has them for $72).  The motherboard is the single
most expensive part at $285.  The slot load slim DVD isn't cheap either
($75 but newegg no longer sells them).  I could find plenty of slim DVD,
but I didn't want the laptop type for the frontend.  Too worried about
someone pushing to hard clicking the DVD onto that center rim.

You can have small, quiet, inexpensive.  Pick any two :-)  Just kidding,
small and inexpensive are mutually exclusive.  You are probably
wondering now why I would spend so much on a seemingly underpowered
system.  First, with HDTV, a fairly beefy CPU is loud and I would need a
VGA to component video converter ($110).  I have about $900 in my
current frontend (P4 2.8, 512MB, FX5200 ultra, 9A60, ...).  Second and
more important, power (electrical that is).  My old power-hungry beast
of a frontend is loud and expensive to operate.  I know it isn't a
direct comparison because you can do other things with the higher speed
Intel (or AMD) frontend when you don't need the CPU grunt to handle
playing back HDTV, but I only use the frontend for a frontend so it was
worth it to me.  $285 on the Commell side vs. about $420 ($250+$60+$110)
on the Intel side to playback an HDTV stream (motherboard and video
only).  Besides, I enjoy working on this kind of stuff and wanted to see
if I could make an appliance type MythTV frontend.  :-)

>  How
>did you get the IR sensor working off the motherboard?  Do you have
>link for that?

Haven't gotten that far yet.  Still working on the video.  The
motherboard has an IR receiver and I am planning on using lirc_sir
(hopefully).

--
David

HDTV capable frontend I am working on (now with a picture)
  http://mythhd.info