[mythtv-users] Video (Quality/Size) Issues

Phill Edwards philledwards at gmail.com
Mon Mar 14 11:16:44 UTC 2005

> (FYI, I'm using the 350 for capture and the 5200 for TV Out. I was
> originally going to use the 350 for both, however the image quality as
> horrible out of the 350...)

Lots of people seem to have problem with the 350 TV Out on this list,
so you're in good company :)

> 1) It seems that the TV-OUT on the 5200 doesn't quite fill my screen.
> There are black borders all around the image. I'm pretty sure this isn't
> an X problem per-se... because even my grub screen has the same issue.
> This is pretty annoying-- any ideas/suggestions??

Could be an overscan issue. In your xorg.conf you could try this in
the Device section. Try a number of different settings to find the one
that looks best:
#       Option "TVOverScan" "Decimal value in range 0.0 to 1.0"
        Option "TVOverScan" "0.60"

> 2) The Image quality is just not where I want it to be. The lines seem a
> little blurred, and the colors are a touch washed out... it's *close*,
> but not quite there. Has anyone noticed this issue? Are there any fixes?

Try these in your channel settings- they work for me:

videofilter : adjust=18:237:1.0:35:220:1.0,denoise3d
contrast : 23200
brightness : 34000
colour : 32000
hue : 32768
(If you have lots of chanels you may want to update the channel table
directly in mysql).

In modprobe.conf I have these chroma_agc and combfilter options for my
BTTV card:
options bttv card=55,37 radio=0 tuner=0,28 chroma_agc=1 combfilter=2
YMMV with a 350.

And in Setup --> T VSettings --> Playback I'm using Deinterlace (even
tho I'm wathing it on a TV with the Bob 2x framerate algorithm. Try it
and see it it works for you.

> I've tried to get the DVI on my 5200 to display on my Sony with no luck,
> and I'm hesitant to drop the $150 for the more Recent nVidia cards (with
> Component out) until I'm sure they'll make my video appear the way I
> want it to.

I seem to remember something about component out not being supported.
You may want to check the archives for that.

Regards,
Phill