[mythtv-users] Recycled PC as a frontend- disapointment?

J. Scott jscott at oddpost.com
Sun Mar 13 23:23:19 UTC 2005

There is no entry in the XFree86.0.log for:
(II) Loading extension XVideo

The output of xvinfo is:
"no adaptors present"

I checked out the gatos site, but wasn't clear what to do with the info there.

Thanks.

-----Original Message from Cory Papenfuss <papenfuss at juneau.me.vt.edu>-----

On Sun, 13 Mar 2005, J. Scott wrote:

> When I run lspci I get the following
>
> VGA Compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc 3D Rage IIC AGP (Rev 7a)
>
> My XF86Config-4 file has several references to ATI, but nothing more specific than that.
>
> I tried some google searches on the lspci output, but didn't find anything helpful.

    It's certainly not a wonderful card, but I have used something
similar for a Mythbox.  It does support Xv, although when I was playing
with it the interlaced driver with Xv was broken.  I had to use the GATOS
drivers to get around that bug, IIRC.  Check the /var/log/Xorg.0.log to
see if it contains the line:
(II) Loading extension XVideo

    Also, check to see that the output of 'xvinfo' displays something
other than, "No adapters present," or whatever.  Should be lots of stuff
like:
X-Video Extension version 2.2
screen #0
   Adaptor #0: "ATI Radeon Video Overlay"
     number of ports: 1
     port base: 61
     operations supported: PutImage
<snip>
       id: 0x32315659 (YV12)
         guid: 59563132-0000-0010-8000-00aa00389b71
         bits per pixel: 12
         number of planes: 3
         type: YUV (planar)
       id: 0x30323449 (I420)
         guid: 49343230-0000-0010-8000-00aa00389b71
         bits per pixel: 12
         number of planes: 3
         type: YUV (planar)

    Also worth noting...I've used Celeron-flavord machines before, but
it was a dual-CPU beast at 450MHz.  You will probably be able to play on a
single Celeron, but there won't be much left over.

-Cory