[mythtv-users] Broadcast problems?

Joe Barnhart joebarnhart at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 13 20:07:12 UTC 2005

--- Brad Templeton <brad+myth at templetons.com> wrote:

> No dialog is probably a local problem, it happens
> fairly often.  This
> occurs when you have ac-3 sound and myth or your
> sound drivers are
> confused and don't merge the center channel into
> your right and left.
>
> (If you got no dialog and you are driving a center
> speaker, then it's their
> fault.)
>
> You need to play around with random settings in your
> alsamixer to fix this.

While "no dialog" may have local causes at times, it
DOES happen as a result of mistakes at the transmitter
end, too.  The last couple of episodes of CSI (LV)
have begun with no dialog for the first 3-5 minutes.
Then someone at the station flips a switch and the
dialog magically appears.  This affects only the HDTV
transmission, the analog broadcast is unchanged.

Then there's the local PBS station, KQED.  Since I
installed 0.17 the sound for KQED has stopped
completely.  I discovered that Myth is choosing the
wrong sound channel by default, and that I can get
KQED  sound to work by pressing "+" on the keyboard to
choose a different sound stream.

I assume, like other 0.17 problems, this has been
fixed in CVS but will not be added to the 0.17
"release."