[mythtv-users] [OT] How may bytes available on a single layer DVD-R?

Cory Papenfuss papenfuss at juneau.me.vt.edu
Sun Mar 13 19:45:20 UTC 2005

>> Not marketspeak anymore.  Drive makers have been doing it long
>> enough that it's not "weird" anymore, like it used to be.
>>
>> http://physics.nist.gov/cuu/Units/binary.html
>
> When computers work in base 10, then it stops being weird >:-(
> --
 	Agreed.  I know of the formalization of 2^10 = KiB, etc. I chose
not to sound like an idiot utting the words "Kibibyte" and "Mebibyte."
Using invented words such as these confuse the people who are too ignorant
to distinguish the difference, anyway.  If they rolled off the tongue a
bit easier (e.g. "kilibyte" and "megibyte") I might be more receptive, but
they just sound stupid and are in almost all cases, redundant.

 	To quote from that page:
"It is important to recognize that the new prefixes for binary multiples
are not part of the International System of Units (SI), the modern metric
system. However, for ease of understanding and recall, they were derived
from the SI prefixes for positive powers of ten. As can be seen from the
above table, the name of each new prefix is derived from the name of the
corresponding SI prefix by retaining the first two letters of the name of
the SI prefix and adding the letters "bi," which recalls the word
"binary." Similarly, the symbol of each new prefix is derived from the
symbol of the corresponding SI prefix by adding the letter "i," which
again recalls the word "binary." (For consistency with the other prefixes
for binary multiples, the symbol Ki is used for 210 rather than ki.)"

 	So again, I maintain that a blank DVD-R hold 4.38 GB of data.

-Cory

("Flame on, Garth!")