[mythtv-users] Shopping for an HDTV for Myth

Jack R. Hyde jr at jrh.net
Sun Mar 13 08:06:39 UTC 2005

I have a DLP too, but it's not a Samsung. The DLP chips are all made by TI
and there are a few variations. The HD2 was pretty much the original and
it's basically a plain jane 720p native chip. It's what's in mine and I
absolutely love it. Black levels could be better and the red and greens are
over done even after adjustments but it's basically a crystal clear 56"
1280x720 computer screen. While mine is no longer made (Gateway of all
things) it has precious little overscan, another feature to watch out for.
Less is better imo, the Gateway has an almost perfect amount. I think Costco
is selling a rebranded version of this TV for ~2500 though that was awhile
ago.

The newer TI HD# chips like the HD3 are not true 720p chips, they are like
half that resolution but they "vibrate" at double the normal rate to produce
720p using some funky technique. The advantages to these new chips are less
of a screen door effect inbetween the pixels and better black levels. I am
not sure how this would look as a computer screen, sounds sort of fishy to
me, I would check one out in person before I thought about using it as a
htpc. The newer models also have an improved color wheel for a lessened
rainbow effect, but I never see that anyways.

Take anything I said with a grain of salt as I could be mistaken on some
things, it's just my cursory understanding of the DLP market. As has been
recommended the AVS forum is the place to go.