[mythtv-users] Some Fedora Myth(TV)ology notes...

Rob Greene robgreene at gmail.com
Sat Mar 12 18:00:35 UTC 2005

First off, thanks a ton for your guide, Jarod!

Generally, Fedora Myth(TV)ology worked wonderfully (FC3, MythTV 0.17).
A few notes - not sure if these are common enough to be added in your
notations - or just me not full reading the documentation:

    * msp3400.ko would not load until the msp3400-ivtv.ko was named
msp3400.ko. Per the guide, the original
/lib/modules/$KVER/kernel/drivers/media/video/msp3400.ko module was
renamed so it would not run.

    * Regarding msp3400, I added options msp3400 once=1 simple=1 to
the /etc/modprobe.conf file to get sound working.

    * The IvyTV drivers were not loading automagically, so I needed to
force them to load in /etc/rc.local as such (I'm sure there are better
ways, but I definately did need to "force" them to load):

        modprobe ivtv
        sleep 2           # I think this was to allow "/dev/video*" to
be created??
        service mythbackend start

Now I've just got the skipping/stuttering when playing. I'm watching
threads on those...

I have a master backend and then one Myth client and one WinMyth
client. I plan to ultimately have 2 dedicated Linux MythTV clients and
2 WinMyth clients, so I'm always interested in hearing what fanless
solutions there are.

Thanks again!
-Rob