[mythtv-users] Fanless graphics card suggestions?

Shawn Willden shawn-myth at willden.org
Fri Mar 11 16:47:00 UTC 2005

Robert Tsai wrote:

>Be wary of the newer 128-bit 5200 cards, I think many of those have
>fans (at least the eVGA 128-bit 5200 card has one).

My Asus 128MB 5200 doesn't have a fan.  It cost $50 at tigerdirect.com.

I'm a little woried about it, though.  Its very small heat sink is
typically *very* hot to the touch.  It won't burn you, but you're
unlikely to keep your fingers on it for more than five seconds or so.

I have it in a Shuttle case, so there's no room to add an additional fan
inside the case.  Since it's in a cabinet and you rarely see more than
the face, I'm considering bolting another fan to the outside of the
case.  The card's heat sink is right next to some air holes on the side
of the case, so I'm thinking that a fan right over those holes might
help.  OTOH, the result would be ugly whenever the (otherwise very
pretty) little machine is pulled out into the light.

Maybe I'll just ignore it and figure that if the card dies in a year or
two, well, it was only $50 and a comparable card will be really cheap in
2007.

    Shawn.