[mythtv-users] Re: mythtv backend on a headless fileserver

Peter Loron peterl at standingwave.org
Fri Mar 11 07:02:30 UTC 2005

Ok, this is drifting a bit OT, but I'm going to strike while the iron
is hot. I've got my backend machine set up and pretty much working, but
it is going in the closet so I don't have to listen to it. I need to
get VNC working. In the past when I was running FC1, I just did apt-get
for TightVNC and I was all set. Starting a VNC server and connecting
yielded me my complete KDE/Gnome/WhateverWM desktop.

Now that I'm running FC3, TightVNC doesn't seem to be available, and
when I connect using the already installed vncserver, all I get is a
minimalist TWM environment.

How to get a full-on desktop? I'm suspecting I need to edit one or more
of the X config files, but I'm clueless. If there's a FAQ for this one,
please point me to it.

Thanks!

-Pete