[mythtv-users] Re: mythtv backend on a headless fileserver

Brad Benson bbenso1 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 11 05:36:11 UTC 2005

On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 18:01:49 -0800, Jarod Wilson <jarod at wilsonet.com> wrote:

> ssh w/X11 forwarding works just fine for me. Enable X11-forwarding in the
> backend's sshd config file, then:
>
> ssh -X user at backend
>
> Not sure what else might need doing, this works out of the box on FC3
> (X11-forwarding is already enabled in FC3's sshd, but the -X is needed to
> tell the client to enable X11-forwarding also).

If you don't already have it, create ~/.ssh/config on the client
machine.  Then add this:

Host *
ForwardX11 yes

This will automatically enable X11 forwarding for any machine you log
into.  Of course, it's much safer to add, say:

Host mymythbackend
ForwardX11 yes

That way you only explicitly allow X forwarding for the machine named
mymythbackend.  All other machines you log into will not allow X
forwarding unless you include -X on the command line.  You can add as
many Host xxxx entries as you like, but keep in the mind that the
first entry in the file takes precedence so make sure any 'Host *'
entry is the last one in the file.  If 'Host *' is the first entry in
the config file my understanding is that it will override any other
settings you have in there.

Brad