[mythtv-users] problems on playback due to no ACPI and IRQ sharing?

Norman Lyon yourdog at poboxes.com
Fri Mar 11 01:52:20 UTC 2005

I'm thinking that the problems I'm having with my playback skipping a little
(maybe a quarter of a second) every few minutes may have something to do with
lack of ACPI/how my IRQs are used.  It looks like EVERYTHING except the onboard
IDE shares IRQs, 3, 5, & 11.  That looks to be causing a lot of conflicts
between my audio cards, capture card, video card, and extra IDE card.

Can anyone verify whether or not they've either been able to track down problems
to this, or at least had a high level of suspicion that this may have caused
them problems?  I'd like to have a good level of confidence that that's my
problem before I go and purchase a motherboard that supports ACPI.

If you haven't seen this, can you think of any way to show this could be causing
problems?  vmstat doesn't show any spike in context switches or interrupts when
the skipping happens, and that was the suggestion I had thought would help the
most.

As a reminder to put this in context since there are too many problems reported,
my problem is that I'm having problems during playback on my dedicated mythtv
box, though the CPU is maybe hitting 15-20% utilization during 640x480x24
playback, but slower servers (but on newer motherboards) have no problems with
the same playback).  DMA is enabled all around.

Thanks,
Norman