[mythtv-users] SA3000 and sound switching

Kendric Beachey kendric.beachey at gmail.com
Thu Mar 10 19:15:09 UTC 2005

:
> I deal with this normally by just having both
> the stereo rca and coax digital plugged in to my HT receiver
> and it figures out where the sound is coming from.

Lucky duck...my digital cable box (something from Pioneer) has the
dual outputs too, but they work like this:

Channels 100-infinity: digital cable
    analog output carries 2-channel analog audio
    digital output carries 5.1 encoded digital sound, woohoo!
Channels 1-99: analog cable
    analog output carries 2-channel analog audio
    digital output carries 5.1 encoded digital SILENCE

The HT receiver always (correctly IMHO) picks the best input that has
a valid signal, so if I use the digital sound out from the cable box,
I get great sound on channels 100 and up, but no sound at all on
channels 1-99.  So I have to use the analog outs instead and get OK
sound on all channels.  Foo!

(Anyone recognize this dilemma and know of a workaround?)
--
Kendric Beachey