[mythtv-users] Wireless G USB Dongles

jerome lacoste jerome.lacoste at gmail.com
Thu Mar 10 18:01:49 UTC 2005

On Wed, 9 Mar 2005 21:19:17 +0000, Ciaran <ciaranj at gmail.com> wrote:
> Has anyone gotten a 802.11g USB dongle working on their Myth box yet.
> I want to put a new frontend into my [wireless] network and as it is a
> pundit I have no card space [2 tuners], and the pcmcia slot would look
> quite ugly if filled at the front ?
>
> As much as I can grasp from googling is that USB + 802.11g + Linux is
> a painful experience, but if someone has some hardware that they know
> works, I can at least get this kit safe in the knowledge that its
> possible, I can get it up and running once I'm sure in something <g>

I know that you search for g, but I can share with you my (relatively
new) experience with b.

I've set up a CNet 802.11b card yesterday and it has been working
great so far. I haven't stress tested the box for hours as I have
other stability problems (hard locks). But I could get 5Mbits second
for some minutes without problem.

Worklog and details here:

http://coffeebreaks.dyndns.org/~jerome/wordpress/?p=256

Once my hard locks are solved I will stress test the card. With regard
to 802.11g, it's harder to find a Linux supported one in my area. And
I didn't need streaming.

Jerome