[mythtv-users] How I got great quality TV-out on my nVidia MX4000

Cory Papenfuss papenfuss at juneau.me.vt.edu
Thu Mar 10 12:47:04 UTC 2005

> What about RTLinux or RTAI Linux? This would give the realtime performance
> needed to respond to a VBI interrupt, the problem would be that the RTLinux
> code to interract with the graphics card would have to be written from
> scratch. Just a thought, I haven't really been following this thread.

 	I ran across this... looks interesting.

http://www.cs.yorku.ca/~av/Genlock.htm

 	I've talked myself right out of genlocking with my previous post,
however.  Genlocking is a *hard* realtime requirement, whereas since the
PVR is fundamentally a timeshifting device, it's more of a *soft* realtime
device.  That's not to say it's not interesting or a possible solution,
it's just that it might be overkill.  The easiest way to adjust the time
and keep everything synchronous would be to adjust the dotclock on the VGA
card a very small amount.  That would keep the modeline timings the same
on a per-frame basis, but adjust the actual time.

 	Of course, this is all dependent on the specific video card used,
how adjustable it is, and some notion of a "reference clock."  See

-Cory