[mythtv-users] Plextor PX-TV402U-NA

Nathan Lutchansky lutchann-mythtvusers at litech.org
Wed Mar 9 21:59:43 UTC 2005

On Wed, Mar 09, 2005 at 08:49:07PM +0000, David wrote:
> Nathan Lutchansky wrote:
> >However, the reference documentation is only available under the standard
> >WIS developer agreement.  This is primarily because the documentation
> >focuses strongly on hardware design and internal architecture, which is
> >important for ODMs developing hardware around the encoder, and which WIS
> >considers to be confidential information.
>
> What's involved in the WIS developer agreement?
> Are they happy to give it out to GPL developers (subject to an NDA and
> maybe a 'credibility' check) or is it $10k like the Conexant one.

The agreement itself is mostly mutual non-disclosure terms, I personally
found it quite reasonable.  However, beyond the reference hardware that
they provide for a fee, there's not really an all-inclusive "kit" that's
handed out -- WIS has a team of FAEs that work with closely with each
customer to try and develop custom hardware/software systems together and
what gets shared is to an extent dependent on the situation.  In general,
WIS provides their own driver code, so sharing detailed programming
information is unnecessary.

As far as Linux driver development is concerned, WIS has a growing
interest in having a good relationship with the Linux community, so in the
event I was unable to continue working on this for them I'm sure they'd
make an effort to find other options for continuing maintenance of the
driver.  I expect at the very least this would involve providing
documentation and access to their engineers to another Linux kernel
developer who was willing to sign their NDA.  I don't speak for WIS
though, so I can't make any promises on their behalf.  -Nathan