[mythtv-users] Distro of choice?

Craig Partin cpartin at gmail.com
Wed Mar 9 19:51:00 UTC 2005

On Wed, 9 Mar 2005 11:34:21 -0800, Scott Alfter
<mythtv at salfter.dyndns.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 08, 2005 at 06:10:09PM -0600, Timothy Waters wrote:
> > I just wanted to see what distro a lot of you are using for your myth
> > boxen currently. I've been playing with it on Fedore Core 3 for a week
> > or two and it's okay with MythTV. But then again, one bad up2date and
> > Myth doesn't function well anymore. I'm thinking about doing another
> > LFS install and staying a bit with that to really get into it.
>
> I've used LFS in the past (but not for MythTV), but switched to Gentoo.  My
> main interest in LFS was having a Linux system fully optimized for my
> hardware; Gentoo does that with much less fuss.  LFS remains a decent
> educational experience for learning what goes into a Linux system, how all
> the pieces interact with each other, how it all works, etc.  Gentoo has
> worked better for me from a maintainability standpoint, which could be a
> better match for you if you want something (like a MythTV box) that will
> Just Work.
>
>   _/_
>  / v \ Scott Alfter (remove the obvious to send mail)
> (IIGS( http://alfter.us/            Top-posting!
>  \_^_/ rm -rf /bin/laden            >What's the most annoying thing on Usenet?

I think Gentoo is a great distro for myth.  The portage tree has
everything you need, except maybe for the latest ivtv offerings.
There are excellent how-to's available and the install docs and forums
are full of top-notch help.  You do have to be patient while
everything compiles, but it is well worth it.

The great thing is that once you have the base OS up and running its
just a simple "emerge mythtv" and then the next morning your system is
ready.  All the dependencies are handled automatically and it just
works.