[mythtv-users] How I got great quality TV-out on my nVidia MX4000

Wed Mar 9 19:34:00 UTC 2005

On Wed, 9 Mar 2005, Jeroen Brosens wrote:

> > I gave up after trying *every* combination of driver/cable/modeline/X11
> > video output device/eating shoes and decided to buy a nVidia card after
> > Staffan Pettersson persuaded me (thank you):
> > http://www.mail-archive.com/mythtv-dev@mythtv.org/msg04131.html
> >
> > The card is due to arrive friday, so I can finally get OpenGL
> > vsync+XvMC+bobdeint working.
> >
> > -- Jeroen
> >

> I'd like to add that I'd like to challenge the MythTV dev-people to review
> the Xv/XvMC code regarding the handling of vsync while using bobdeint.
>
> One needs hardware with OpenGL support to have a Vsync to get bobdeint
> working without going out of sync now and then (horrible jittering occurs)
> and that isn't good news for users of a barebone with built-in graphics
> that can't support that, like myself (using an ASUS Pundit).
>
> It would wipe out all problems I had to get it working! One lousy bobdeint
> filter that just works.

I understand that you are frustrated, but your last sentence is a little
offensive.

The OpenGL vsync/bobdeint combo is awsome.  Ever since Doug implemented that
combination, my video playback has been silky smooth.  I have an nVidia
graphics card.

The reason it may not work as well for non-nVidia users, is that Doug uses
an nVidia card.  Pretty much all the "developers" use an nVidia card.  This
means that all other video cards are not going to be as well tested or
optimized.

If someone wanted to buy Doug an Asus Pundit, he *might* be willing to take
the time to work on improving bobdeint for non nVidia cards, but he is
unlikely to buy one for himself just for that purpose.

Doug would probably be willing to explain how the bobdeint code works, if
someone without nVidia hardware wanted to work with it.

John