[mythtv-users] (OT) Easy 'realtime' Modeline generator?

junk_inbox at comcast.net junk_inbox at comcast.net
Wed Mar 9 16:55:03 UTC 2005

  Thanks!   I just had to generate some 'baseline' modelines for the resolutions I was tyring to test (since xvidtune only lets you adjust existing modelines), but then was able to use 'xvidtune' to get a few different resolutions working perfectly on my projector:
     640x480    720x480   768x483  800x600

  All modes are interlaced, but suprisingly enough, at 640x480 and 800x600 there is no percivable flicker.  For some reason I was not able to get the 720x480 and 768x483 modes to a high enough refresh rate to eliminate the interlace flicker, so these resolutions unfortunately produce a noticable amount of interlace flicker.

  Anyways I've set it to 800x600 and am very happy with the results.  Nice & sharp & flicker free! ;-)

  One other question...   I've setup the modelines for all of the above resolutions, and in the Monitor section have set the "modes" line to a list of the resolutions in the order that I want to use them (something like this:  Note that I'm at work now so I can't cut & paste the exact line, but I think this is correct:)
       Modes: "800x600" "768x483" "720x480" "640x480"

  The KDE Graphical boot executes in 800x600, but then switches down to 768x483 before getting to the X login screen.  And then 800x600 isn't available within X.  So I deleted the other resolutions from the "Modes:" line (leaving only 800x600), and it now stays in 800x600 through the whole process, but now the other resolutions are not available to me within X... So what do I have wrong that would cause it to behave like that?!?   TIA...    (If you need my conf files, I'll have to send them this evening when I'm home again...  TIA)

--
Jeff