[mythtv-users] How I got great quality TV-out on my nVidia MX4000

Brian J. Murrell brian at interlinx.bc.ca
Wed Mar 9 16:17:24 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-03-09 at 10:14 -0500, Will Dormann wrote:

> Yes it does.  The problem is, no video card appears to be able to do
> TV-Out while retaining that proper interlacing information.

As it was explained to me, the G400 does.

> The instant
> the card does any sort of scaling of the picture (to do overscan, for
> example), the interlacing will no longer match up with the TV scan lines.

Indeed.  With the G400 you don't scale (vertically anyway), you sent 480
line frames (i.e. two fields) and it does the separation.

> Bob deinterlacing makes up for this by converting each field to a frame
> and then sending ~60frames per second, rather than 60fields per second.

Indeed.  I can see how this can work for cards that can't take
interlaced frames.

> The PVR-350 has dedicated hardware to output the video such that the
> interlacing matches up with the TV's scan lines, as that is what it was
> designed to do.

Right, but is restricted to mpeg2 input though from what I have gathered
here.

> I think I've probably used some wrong terminology here, but I think I've
> got the gist of things right.

Perhaps you have but I think we are understanding each other, so no
matter.  :-)

b.