[mythtv-users] MythTV in my spam

Jens Baumeister jens.baumeister at gmail.com
Wed Mar 9 15:29:25 UTC 2005

On Wed, 9 Mar 2005 11:43:54 +0000, Simon Kenyon <simon at koala.ie> wrote:

> here in europe they have finally agreed on what HDTV standards are going to be
> adopted. Sky TV (the major satellite broadcaster in the UK and Ireland) has
> stated that their boxes will only have HDMI (with  HDCP protection) output
> for HD. what will i/we do with myth then?

Not an answer - just some additional thoughts: Over here in Germany,
they're in the middle of converting FTA TV to DVB-T. (Wow, three
acronyms right next to each other...) Since they only started this
conversion last year and don't expect it to finish until 2010, I
figure that (perhaps in addition to HDTV) unencrypted DVB broadcasts
should be a given for the next couple of years. (Otherwise they'd pi**
off all those people who just bought a DVB-T receiver because it was
"the future".)

We've had a few HDTV test broadcasts and there's talk of HDTV
channels, but it's going to be a couple of years before it's going to
gain any significant adoption. (No talk of broadcast flags yet, but if
the US regulations should really come through the way it is planned, I
wouldn't be surprised if the EU gets pressured into using the same
system.)

I think it's similar for other areas: The switch to HDTV will be
gradual - if you're recording DVB or analogue TV, your investments
into your mythbox should be save for another couple of years.