[mythtv-users] WinTV PVR-350/Radeon 9600/PIP configuration questions

Robert Buchanan Robert.Buchanan at millersville.edu
Wed Mar 9 14:45:23 UTC 2005

Hello,

Let me start out by saying that without the help of the community of
users of mythtv and particularly the installation guides on the web, I
don't hink I would have been able to get this software working on my
own. Bravo!

My question concerns configuring my display. I have a computer which
must do double duty as my PVR and as my workstation. It has enough
RAM/CPU/HD to do the job. I have a Hauppauge PVR-350 and an ATI Radeon
9600-based graphics card (with 256MB video RAM). The graphics card has
DVI, S-Video, and analog outputs. I suppose everyone is familar with
the
outputs on the PVR-350. I have them connected to a Samsung SyncMaster
192MP display. I really like this display since it is a 19" LCD display
that contains a NTSC tuner. The display accepts input from DVI, analog,
component video, S-Video, and analog cable TV, as well as various audio
inputs. One of the features on the Samsung is PIP, which takes input
from one source and displays it in a 16:9 aspect ratio window overlaid
on whatever is in the 19" display window. For example before I started
with mythtv, I could work from home on the computer and watch TV in the
small window on the screen. This feature has really come in handy while
installing mythtv. I can have the installation guide open in a browser,
a terminal window open, and hit the PIP button on the side of the
display to see if I'm getting anything out of the PVR-350 --- no
disconnecting cables.

I would like to configure mythtv and X-windows to play nicely with each
other. Ideally I would like to have the PVR-350 always use its S-Video
output to display TV (either with PIP, or occupying the whole screen,
which I can get by changing my input source from DVI to S-Video with
another button on the remote or side of the display). Do I have to
change anything in xorg.conf to achieve this? Is it necessary to run X-
windows on the PVR-350 to do this? If I need to have X running on the
PVR-350, could some one point me to some example xorg.conf's which
illustrate how to have X controlling two video cards?

Finally, if I'm missing some really cool configuration possibilities
due
to my limited imagination, please make some suggestions.

Thanks,
Bob Buchanan