[mythtv-users] Distro Advice Sought - epia m10000 for firewire (1394) recording

Jarod Wilson jarod at wilsonet.com
Wed Mar 9 05:23:45 UTC 2005

On Tuesday 08 March 2005 19:36, Jeffrey Kember wrote:
> I wish to build a backend with my epia m10000 to record from two
> sources; firewire from my comcast motorola 6200 and HD3000 over the
> air. I tried knoppmyth and found I was lacking kernel firewire support
> in their latest distro.

You didn't mention what your frontend would be... I hope you aren't hoping to
also use the EPIA for HDTV playback, because it ain't gonna work. :-)

> If I go with Fedora Core 3 and the latest binaries will I be able to
> run right out of the box?

The latest Myth packages on ATrpms.net include FireWire input support, and the
repo also provides the required libraw1394 and libiec61883 packages. There's
a bit of work you have to do to get the needed modules loading
and /dev/raw1394 doesn't get created by udev (bug in the current raw1394 code
in the kernel), but its pretty easy to set up.

> Are there any firewire recording success stories to share?

Yup. Works great for me.

I plan to actually write about it this weekend...

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod at wilsonet.com

Got a question? Read this first...