[mythtv-users] What happened at KnoppMyth forums (mysettopbox.tv)?

jerome lacoste jerome.lacoste at gmail.com
Tue Mar 8 10:48:27 UTC 2005

On Tue, 8 Mar 2005 01:36:51 -0800 (PST), Joe Barnhart
<joebarnhart at yahoo.com> wrote:

> --- jerome lacoste <jerome.lacoste at gmail.com> wrote:
> > you get
> > what you deserve.
>
> ...and...
>
> > If
> > they don't, then
> > double the 'they got what they deserved'.
>
> I find your sentiments reprehensible.
>
> I disagree that Cecil and Dale "deserved" to be
> hacked.  Regardless of the state of their security
> patches, or the state of their backups.
>
> I rarely -- VERY rarely -- write "flame" posts but
> your message just sent me over the top.  I've known
> Cecil only a short time but the thought that he in ANY
> way "deserved" it doesn't sit well with me.
>
> Applying the same reasoning: "that woman who was raped
> got what she deserved."

I understand your comparison with the rape, but comparisons are only
comparisons, they are never exact. I tend to overruse them...  I
should not have started with it.

"deserved" was probably not a well chosen word. English is not my
mother tongue, sorry for that, and I wrote too fast, as usual. That's
why I've put in between quotes.

So I apologize if my choice of words made you feel bad.

By not locking your site down with a mainstream application like phpBB
you are at risks. No matter which language I use to describe that,
they still took a big risk. The world is unfortunately full of stupid
people.

I personally maintain several servers, and it doesn't happen a week
without me fearing of one being hacked.

Furthermore, there had been talks of a phpbb2 site defaced inside
knoppmyth forums some months ago...

http://www.google.no/search?q=KnoppMyth+pcHDTV+defaced

So they should have known.

It's sad. It's disgusting, but it's part of the learning experience.
Like crash your hard disk when you don't have a backup. Or crash your
OS without saving your file. You fall, you stand up again, and make
sure you won't fall again the same way.

My best to Cecil and Dale whose efforts have helped me a lot lately.

Jerome