[mythtv-users] (Almost) A small victory for consumers in the US

Scott Minneman sminneman at gmail.com
Mon Mar 7 14:55:41 UTC 2005

Seems analogous to me.  What should it matter if the two-minute stretch
that you're removing is a sex scene, a graphic disembowelment, or a
commercial break?

That said, the advertisers could respond with the argument that skipping
part of a movie is different than skipping commercials, because it's
only 1% of the movie as opposed to 100% of the commercial.

I don't buy that argument, just saying it could be made. :)

Scott

Greg Depasse wrote:

>As reported in engadget (http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000683034752/):
>
>     "The Hollywood studios don't much like it at all, but Congress is
>finally going to bat for the right of consumers to enjoy movies they
>way they want to. It just happens to be in protection of censorware
>programs like ClearPlay that automatically edit out anything that
>could conceivably make a movie family unfriendly. Anyway, to protect
>your right to remove the topless scene from Titanic, the House is
>about to pass the Family Entertainment and Copyright Act of 2005, a
>bill which the Senate already approved last month and is expected to
>easily score a presidential signature. The bill would make it
>explicitly clear that it is not a violation of copyright law to alter
>somebody's work without permission, as long as it's for private use
>only and these altered copies of the work are not redistributed in
>anyway. We actually sort of agree with this one—people should be
>allowed to do what they want with the DVDs they buy (just like it's
>perfectly legal for someone to black out all the naughty parts of
>books)—but hopefully just to piss off Congress someone'll figure out a
>way to add a little extra sex, violence, and profanity to movies."
>
>I would think that this would be welcome legislation to us especially
>in the area of comm'l skip.  I just wonder if it applies.
>

>-Greg

Scott Minneman
J.D. Candidate, 2007
The George Washington University Law School