[mythtv-users] $30 FX5200 at CompUSA

Robert R. Koblish n3hat at fuse.net
Sun Mar 6 17:24:17 UTC 2005

CompUSA's most recent email and flyer list a "Mad Dog Conquerer FX5200plus" in
either PCI <http://www.compusa.com/adproducts/
product_info.asp?product_code=305452&pfp=ADPRODUCTS> and AGP <http://
www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=305453&pfp=ADPRODUCTS>
for $29.99.

Do any of you have experience with this brand? Any pros or cons? Is it
passively cooled, or does it have its own fan?

I am assembling my first Myth box. At the moment my plan is to park a desktop
PC in an existing closet behind the media center, so noise is not a big
factor right now. But reliability is, so the fewer fans the better. And
someday I might want to build a separate frontend. . . .

Any thoughts on AGP vs. PCI, performance-wise? I have two HD-3000 ATSC tuners
but my NTSC receiver ain't broke yet so I plan to view the output over Svideo
until and unless the prices of HD displays come down some more.

Any comments would be appreciated.

Regards,
Bob Koblish
n3hat at fuse.net