[mythtv-users] Best OS (where in the archives?)

Jeff Simpson llcooljeff at gmail.com
Sun Mar 6 01:59:58 UTC 2005

I used to recommend redhat for newbie linux users, because of how easy
rpms are to install (this was back in like, redhat 5.2 / 6.2 time
perioid.

That changed fast when I was a gentoo user and tried to help install
some rpms on a redhat 9 system, for a newbie. It just lists the
dependencies, you download all the dependencies, it finds more,
repeat. Sure apt-get for rpm works, but if it was all that great, why
isn't it included in the distro like emerge is?

I def recommend gentoo for myth. Sure it takes a long time to get it
all installed, but it will only install the things you need and it
will ALWAYS be up to date when you get done. Plus you can pick
whatever version of ivtv you want (emerge =ivtv-0.2.0.rcwhatever)

 - Jeff

On Sat, 5 Mar 2005 20:31:18 -0500, Byron Miller <byronm at gmail.com> wrote:
> Funny you would get gentoo working and claim to be inexperienced with
> linux. Gentoo is probably the most geeked out distro.. although emerge
> works wonders :)
>
> -byron
>

> On Sat, 05 Mar 2005 20:11:04 -0500, Scott Minneman <sminneman at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Glad Knoppmyth worked for you, but it didn't for me.  Neither did FC3,
> > Debian, or SuSE.  Of course, that could have been from my
> > then-unfamiliarity with Linux.
> >
> > Finally had some luck with Gentoo, and am happy with it.
> >
> > Scott
> >

> > Byron Miller wrote:
> >
> > >I have fallen in love with Knoppmyth, simply because it works :)
> > >
> > >Using R5A10 without many problems (after reading the FAQ and Wiki)
> > >
> > >http://mysettopbox.tv/knoppmyth.html
> > >
> > >(based on debian)
> > >
> > >-byron

> > --
> >
> > Scott Minneman
> > J.D. Candidate, 2007
> > The George Washington University Law School

email me if you want a gmail invite, I have some invites